Tuesday, October 03, 2006

The Ascent from Purgatory, or the Seussical Derrida

I admit, I'm just writing this post because the last post was a blatant expression of befuddlement, and I don't like being befuddled. At least Emily is befuddled, too.

Hell week is over! Yay! Our web design professor explained that he intended the homework from last week to be the hardest assignment of the semester, and that our final project would no doubt be easier, since no one would actually try to lay out a newspaper front page with CSS! It was an object lesson. A BLOODY 14 HOUR OBJECT LESSON. Rather, excuse me, I take issue with his pedagogical methods....

In my now-prodigious amount of spare time, I watched the original Stepford Wives from the late 70s. Unlike the new one, it's intended to be serious. I found it a bit slow except for the wardrobe. Anyone who thinks society is disintegrating needs to go watch movies from the 1970s, or even the 1930s (I LOVED the Big Sleep). Miniskirts and belly-baring have been around since, well, Egypt. Not to mention that because of women's lib...oh never mind.

Well, I must be getting back to Maurice Halbwachs and Jacques Derrida (Archive Fever) for my Collective Memory class. Derrida never made much sense to me before, but I'm now realizing that he reasons etymologically rather than linearly. So I've kept the OED and a Greek dictionary pulled up on my computer. I have to say, though, that even with a slight knowledge of Greek, some of his word constructions baffle me. Such as, for example, anarchivic, archiviolithic, aneconomy and hypomnema -- all from two pages! Try looking THOSE up in the OED.

1 comment:

Allison said...

your observation on Derrida's structure makes a lot of sense - I was absolutely stuck 1/3 through Dissemination because I did not recognize half the words! If I ever feel like trying again I will have to have better etymological guides with me, and learn a few classical languages. :-)