Friday, February 02, 2007

My Day

1. "How are you?" "Functional, thank you."

2. What is a nonexample?

3. Pharmacies are confusing.

4. I am more depressed than 90% 0f my peers (perhaps this is a nonexample of things that should be posted on a blog).

5. You know those objective statements at the beginning of syllabuses? Those things we always assumed the professors pulled out of their . . . hats? Well, there are actually books about them. They're called "taxonomies of educational objectives." Who would have thought?

6. Harry Potter (well, the actor) is starring in a play about a teenager who finds horses erotic (Equus). There is a nude scene. There are promo pictures, but I'm not posting them here. I just thought you should know.

4 comments:

Pollyemma said...

Unfortunately, I have seen the Equus photos. ick. This attempt to break free of his Harry Potter image is just pathetic. I've heard he gets teased a lot at his school...does he really think this will help?

Dana said...

One of my professors this semester talked through his statement of objectives to point out how nonsensical and presumptive they were and he didn't know why he'd written them that way.

Asparagus said...

Somehow I don't think this will help the whole teasing thing...

At least your professor is self-aware enough to realize how ridiculous they are. Absolutely the worst day of class is syllabus day, when some professors studiously go point by point through the whole damn thing. "Yes, we can read and yes, we know what part's bullshit and what part counts."

em said...

Probably writing a syllabus is just as bad as writing a statement of purpose. We are all slaves to the system.