There are advantages to religious leaders having their own sovereign state. Like being able to criticize all the other sovereign states.
I've also been watching Frank Capra movies from the 1930s that I haven't seen before (I know, I know, don't I have better things to do?). I reached the point of saturation long ago with Mr. Smith Goes to Washington and It's a Wonderful Life. Predictably, all the plots are about evil corporate moguls who are one-upped by the common man. I think I've about had it with the genre.
I must say, though, that You Can't Take It With You had some good bits. The movie was really about having a choice between mindlessly earning money, and making the choice to do what will make you happy. Fairly far-sighted, considering the recent emphasis on the economics of happiness. I particularly liked the encounter between Grandpa Vanderhof and the Tax Man:
Tax Man:"Now Mr Vanderhof, our records show that you've never paid an income tax."
Grandpa Vanderhof:"That's right."
Tax Man:"Why not?!"
Grandpa Vanderhof:"I don't believe in it."
[goes on to discount the need to pay for warships ("the last time we used those was in the Spanish-American War, and all that got us was Cuba, which we gave back"), and the salaries of the President, Supreme Court Justices, and Congress].
Tax Man:"Look Mr Vanderhof, all I know is you haven't paid an income tax, and you've got to pay it."
Grandpa Vanderhof:"Uhh what was that?"
Tax Man:"I said you've got to pay it!"
Grandpa Vanderhof:"Well you've got to show me!"
Tax Man:"We don't have to show you, I just told you! Whose going to pay for all those buildings down in Washington, and interstate commerce and the Constitution!"
Grandpa Vanderhof:"The Constitution's been paid for years ago, and as for interstate commerce... what is interstate commerce anyway?"
Tax Man:"There are 48 states see, and if it weren't for interstate commerce, nothing could go from one state to another, see."
Grandpa Vanderhof:"Well why not, have they got fences?"
(audio clips available here).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment