Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Addendum: On the Parade

I was talking to one of the technical services ladies as I left work today. Evidently, they choose to have the parade on the main thoroughfare because "they've always done it that way."

This is incomprehensible to me.

I've heard there are three main kinds of cultures in the United States: traditional (south), moralistic (north-east), and individualistic (west).

Believe it or not, I CAN get on my moral high horse about some things . . . can't think of any examples right now, but it happens. Oh! Right. Medical marijuana. Don't think human suffering is nice, so am outraged by laws against. But I mainly relate to the individualistic strand -- hence owning my own weedeater, supporting Ron Paul, hating unions, etc. Dead set against traditionalism. Weird for a historian, I know. I guess I just don't glorify the past, and I don't like to see it idolized. Hence I don't own a table, and prefer to eat standing or sitting on the floor. Somehow or other I feel like I'm dealing a blow to traditional values at every meal.

I mean, some traditions are fun and harmless -- like trick-or-treating. But let's not cause traffic jams about them!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You... don't... own... a... table?

*wimper*