It has been a long week -- my classes started all at once, and I've been teaching at least one a day. Yesterday I was on the reference desk at both 8:00 in the morning and 9:00 at night. I'm trying very hard to understand the distinction between tenured and non-tenured faculty, comp time vs. vacation time, and option A health insurance vs. option B. My main problem is convincing myself that it is important. My mental filters convert it into "blah, blah, blah, bzz, bzz, bzz." I also still find myself waiting for a grade. There are definite advantages to remembering very clearly what it was like to be a student, though. I don't have to feign sympathy with my clientèle.
But tomorrow is Friday, and all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. Last weekend I went to some of the area wineries. There are about a dozen within an hour's drive, and some of them, like Crown Valley, are quite large. I like the smaller ones better because they are more hidden from the St. Louis vulgus, and one actually gets to taste and discuss the entire spectrum of wines in relative calm. Even Crown Valley had its benefits, though -- like the enormously long wine list and seven tokens for seven glasses. The roads were windy, and it was a very good thing I wasn't driving myself home (thanks, mom). Oh -- and the Ozarks are very pretty -- I think -- although that may be the wine talking.
In other words, YOU PEOPLE NOT JUST BRIANNA NEED TO COME VISIT ME SO WE CAN GET RIP-ROARING DRUNK ON WINE EXCEPT FOR ME OF COURSE BECAUSE I WILL DRIVE.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
You nearly have me convinced... we'll see what happens if Congress actually wraps up before the holidays this year :)
Post a Comment