The Slate article I posted on Facebook earlier today, about Barack Obama's patriotism, got me thinking about the pledge of allegiance. Which got me thinking about AWANA. Because I never had to say the pledge of allegiance anywhere else (except for about two days when I was seven and my mom got this deranged notion that we should salute a little flag before we started studying. We immediately sensed how silly this, like any traditional school ritual, looked in underwear. If you ever suspect something might be empty posturing, try doing it in your underwear. C.S. Lewis held up fine).
It has long struck me that AWANA shares certain uncanny similarities with communist youth movements. Compare this picture of the Young Pioneers with this picture of the uniform for elementary-age boys in AWANA. Red neckerchief? Check. Bland button-up shirt? Check. Actually, the Y.P.'s almost look elegant in comparison. For a really high-achieving AWANA-er with lots of medals and patches, we're almost talking Mussolinian levels of ridiculousness. The kicker? The 5 - 6 grade AWANA boys club is CALLED PIONEERS, TOO!!! It's like looking at the dollar bill and realizing -- OH MY GOSH! OUR COUNTRY WAS FOUNDED BY FREE MASONS WHO WERE DESCENDANTS OF THE NEPHALIM.
Now, I must say there were some fun things about AWANA. Like performing the pants off all the kids who went to school, and hence did not have several hours a day to memorize Bible verses. In addition to awards, we'd get "AWANA bucks" to spend on cheap Chinese toys. A lot of good all those Bible verses did me, you're thinking. Well, actually, you've got a point. I'm not sure competitive, rote memorization is the best way to inculcate religion. In addition to Bible verses -- and really, who can be against Bible verses? -- we had to memorize various AWANA-specific pledges and creeds. The only one I still remember is "I pledge allegiance to the AWANA flag, which stands for the AWANA clubs..." and this also disturbs me
One aspect I did NOT find particularly fun was "game time," meant to be the "bait" into the program, and also meant to inspire "good sportsmanship." I oppose all organized games. I think children develop important diplomatic, managerial, and creative skills by making up their own games, without adult intrusion. Little League baseball is cruel and my mother loved me too much to do that to me. Also we were hiding from the school system.
Join us against next time for...deconstructing your evangelical heritage.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
that photo is creepy, but, personally, I always thought AWANA had more in common with Fascist youth programs than communist ones.
I totally agree with you about Little League, unfortunately my parents thought it "builds character" and I would "make friends". All I have are bad memories of long, cold practices and being hit with the ball.
Post a Comment