Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Me and Lent

I'm going through an anti-superstition stage, ignoring Ash Wednesday, Lent, and the Religious Calendar in general (I did vote, which is probably the most empty ritual of all). I don't really feel like giving anything up for Lent. I like chocolate, and I've already given up meat for my own good reasons.

Yesterday it seemed that universe was punishing me for my negligence. I went to a doctor's appointment at 8:15, only to be told that it was for next Tuesday. The stoplights weren't working, and it was sleeting. I left a classroom to make a phone call when no one showed up, and five minutes later when I came back someone else was teaching my entire class. The power went off in the afternoon, and my evening class was interrupted by a tornado warning.

All of these events were entirely out of my control. Everybody has unlucky days, but because of the timing, it felt as though I were being punished. Perversely, this has only made me the more determined NOT to give anything up for Lent. I also intend to walk under ladders this week. Bad luck has to max out at some point.

3 comments:

Pollyemma said...

Let me get this straight: you think you were punished for skipping out on ash wednesday by having your power go out.

Where have you been attending? the Church of Scientology?

Asparagus said...

Yes.

Pollyemma said...

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!