I find this Saturn commercial for hybrids mildly off-putting. It seems to equate childbearing with environmental sensitivity. First pairing: wedding ring better than hip-hop bling. Well, OK. Hip-hop music is frequently linked to drugs and violence, fine. Second pairing: olympic cyclist better than steroid-laden body builder. Well, again, OK, steroids are unhealthy for the body like fossil fuels are bad for the environment. Last pairing: kids playing basketball than kids playing video games. Again, childhood obesity is unhealthy and video games are pervasive.
But the second-to-last pairing is the one I find mildly offensive - called "rethink beauty." First shot - two women in their twenties, dressed up, probably models or just women out
dancing. Second shot - equally pretty, slender woman in hospital bed with baby. How is dancing unhealthy? There is no sign that these women are shooting up, smoking, anorexic, or even drinking. Maybe Saturn is referring to Paris Hilton and Britney Spears, but they could have then used an image of a generic actress on the red carpet or in a limo. By the same token, how is having a baby progressive? Maybe using cloth diapers or having a midwife or nursing is. But a baby is another tiny carbon footprint. And is giving birth really uncommon or stigmatized? TLC seems to air nothing but touching baby stories. I think Saturn could have found plenty of other examples without juxtaposing two value-neutral lifestyles as "bad" and "good."

3 comments:
It might be that the single, clubbing lifestyle--the extended adolescence our culture not only allows, but valorizes--is, in certain senses, relatively selfish. And so could be contrasted with the sacrifice that raising children entails. I don't think new life is a value-neutral idea. I think a society that views children with indifference, especially when contrasted with the easy gratification of a single professional with a large disposable income, might have some problematic ideas about value.
I disagree. There are good and bad ways to have children and good and bad ways to be single. Britney and Posh both have children. Many people have children and then thrust their education and upbringing upon the state. This is irresponsible behavior. On the other hand, one might be a productive, single doctor or a teacher and enjoy clubbing. Personally, I'm glad women are allowed to experience things besides biological reproduction in the 21st century. And I think you are, too :-)
Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Aluguel de Computadores, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://aluguel-de-computadores.blogspot.com. A hug.
Post a Comment