Monday, September 05, 2005

I'm Still Alive...Barely...

Whew! I just completed my move up to Ann Arbor. Orientation started last week so I got up at 6 a.m. for three days and drove an hour up to a commuter lot, where I caught the bus to campus. Orientation consisted mostly of meeting people, eating food, and going to meetings--most necessary of which was the tech orientation. We went on a scavenger hunt. That was...interesting. I was reminded that I walk much faster than most people. Classes start tomorrow with "Information Resources and Services," where I will actually be working on the Internet Public Library (ipl.org)! My other classes are "Use of Information" (group projects--ahh!!!), "Social Systems and Collections," and "Understanding Records & Archives."

In many ways Ann Arbor is so much better than PHC. There are two huge gyms, swimming pools, ice skating rinks, 14 libraries, free transportation, an arboreteum, a botanical gardens, many libraries, and a planetarium. The School is surrounded for six blocks by different ethnic restaurants.

In another way, I am afraid I will miss much of the comaraderie there was at PHC. People are friendly and smart, but they come from so many backgrounds and belief systems that I feel I must be guarded in what I say (huge challenge for me). Most of them have a different idea of fun than I do--I went to a bar the last evening with a student group and it was BORING! Plus I couldn't drink sangria 'cause I was driving home.... To my knowledge I haven't met one other Christian. I am going to look for a church up here. But, judging from the doctrinally-barren websites of the ones I have looked at, that might be a problem. I am seriously considering the Greek Orthodox church, but I'm sure I'd embarass myself if I just walked in.

I WILL soon write the deserved emails to my witty, talented, loyal, and fascinating correspodents whom I have been so remorsefully neglecting.

No comments: