Thursday, September 29, 2005

Merrily, Merrily

I by rights should have something very exciting to say--after all, new school, new city. But I don't really. Right now a Lego monster is staring me in the face--a "present" from Avery who is, at the moment, peacefully listening to "Twinkle, Twinkle" on his Suzuki Method violin tape.

The godless liberalism here doesn't bother me that much. I was bemused when I saw two guys walking around holding hands on the Diag. My friend, Abbey, smokes but I just stand up wind. I did raise a half-hearted objection the other day when my classmates were arguing that there should be no moral standards in what children have access to in libraries. Really, though, it isn't Sodom or anything around here, especially where I live. I'm sure the bars in the undergraduate areas are icky, but I don't really go there.

Tolerance is a beautiful thing. People can live together. Still, I think something can be said for Christian schools. Coexisting peacefully isn't the same thing as building your philosophy of the world together. For most people, their undergraduate education doesn't seem to have been as important in shaping their philosophy, and I wonder if it is because schools without an explicit worldview try to avoid the subject entirely.

No comments: