I'm mad at APA again.
The APA cribsheet (http://www.docstyles.com/apacrib.htm) starts out with a section on Avoiding Biased and Pejorative Language. I mean, you all know that I'm totally against being pejorative. Pejorative language never escapes my pure and untainted mouth. But, as tolerant as I am, I don't like wasting nine words(count 'em: gay men, lesbians, transgender and bisexual men and women) to say "homosexuals." I also dislike the ban on the word "mankind" or "man" as a general term for humanity. I always assumed I was included in mankind by Shakespeare and the translators of the KJV (in fact, even the Greek anthropos means "mankind"). Not, so, it appears. Women weren't included in humanity until the 1970s, or whenever they developed gender neutral language. I'm glad to know that Aristotle, Shakespeare, and God were such misogynist pigs.
See guys, I'm still kinda a Republican ;-)
Another thing that's bothering me. Dove Promises. I like the chocolate. But the worse-than-fortune-cookie truisms on the wrappers bug me. If the chocolate doesn't make me feel sick, the wrappers ensure that I do. I could write a ballad with all the ones I've unwrapped today:
Love is always the perfect gift.
Joy is contagious.
Warmth on the inside can melt cold on the outside.
Holiday magic starts from within.
Miracles aren't limited to the holidays.
Togetherness is in itself a holiday treat.
A helping hand is sometimes the best present of all.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment