Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Existo

Classes

In terms of absolute value, are getting worse. The mandatory classes have a strong dose of math cum computer science cum social science. In other words, I get to operate in the numerical realm I hate, with notation I've never seen, through fuzzy methods. But I do not think I am in actual danger of losing anything but my mind. Once again, I'm grateful for the mathematical knowledge that has been thrust upon me.

On the bright side, Books and Printing is a definite go. One of my textbooks is a glossy, coffee-table looking book with illustrations of illuminated manuscripts. Another is The Coming of the Book by Lucien Febvre and Henri-Jean Martin. It's surprisingly interesting. Perhaps the excerpt on farm implements we read in Historiography was boring by virtue of its subject rather than its authorshp. But they are socialists. Definite socialists. But who wasn't back then? I am getting more than my fair share of class participation in right now, since we've been talking about Martial's Epigrams, Augustine's Confessions, and other subjects with which I am at least passingly familair and most people, it appears, are not. We made an octavo on Tuesday, and I have to buy a caligraphy pen for Thursday.

Getting Away

I intend to go to California in May to see my beloved mustard-bottle-throwing Jezebel. There is also a chance I may be in D.C. in February for Alternative Spring Break. I aaccompanying someone I don't know for the talent show to raise money. Aren't I brave?

There is also the little matter of securing a summer internship. You see, poor unwitting I seems to be drawn to schools who have a great belief in Principles and Theory. In order to secure the less vainglorious but more demanded practical skills, we have to scavange for internships. Most of the ones here are unpaid. So, if you have a large library or information center near you that could use a theoretically-trained but practically-wanting grad student who will work for menial pay, then I will come and live with you this summer ("you" being defined as a likeable female who lives in a desirable location). Too good to be true, I know.

If you are a strange person who reads strangers' blogs, or a casual acquaintance, you may want to STOP READING HERE, because I am going to talk about my HEALTH, and even I find it boring. But not so boring that I won't bore my readers with it.

Remember that I haven't been able to straighten my left elbow for awhile? Well I am now in physical therapy and their voodoo has managed to straighten it by several degrees. Last time it made a big "pop" and my hand was numb for awhile. Evidently little pieces of scar tissue may have been restricting it. My occasional indulgences do not seem to have affected me adversely, as I have had no irrate calls from Dr. Mohammed about my blood test results. He did threaten to extract blood from my mother if she didn't make sure I had tests every six weeks, though. They don't really get along.

Oh! Some of the people around here have the most interesting names. One of my profs is named Dragomir--Drago for short, and the technical support head is named Vladmir--Vlad. Virtually a crypt of vampires!




No comments: