Thursday, January 05, 2006

First Day of Classes

Brianna requires another post, but I find myself uncommonly tongue-tied. So I will talk about this coming semester. Which will be of interest only to long-suffering and empathetic friends. But that's OK.

Looking Forward To:


* Four University Musical Society events for which I have tickets: Lief Ove Andsnes and the Norwegian Chamber Orchestra, the Vienna Philharmonic (expensive, but worth it!), Chanticleer, and the Tallis Scholars.

*History of Books and Printing Seminar, taught by visiting Yale philologist Mark Burde: I attended the first class today, and it was a breath of fresh air after the drivel of social science that is my daily fare.


Not Looking Forward To:

* The last two foundations courses. Forget all the positive connotations you may have associated with the word "foundations."

* Purchasing the ridiculously expensive cognitive psychology and microeconomics textbooks required for one of said foundations courses. All my other professors have brilliantly skirted copy right law by assigning us exerpts of books and articles. But evidently psychology and microeconomics are such important topics that we need textbooks....

* At least three more months of coldness and darkness (our snow is melted...for now).

No comments: