Somehow I always envisage my life as split into two halves: work and leisure. Work is supposed to consist of hard labor, serious mental toil, or a job for which I am paid. Leisure is supposed to be . . . well leisurely, as in leisure suit, i.e. sitting in a lawn chair with a cocktail and a crossword puzzle.Somehow that's not the way life actually goes. As a matter of fact, the majority of my life is eaten up by pseudo-leisure--all the stuff I need to do during my "spare time." This consists mainly of commuting, eating, sleeping, talking to people, shopping, exercising, readi
ng emails, and...did I mention shopping?Yesterday, for example, I had nothing important to do. Yet I spent the day going to the dentist, getting Best Buy to replace my laptop battery, going to the grocery store with mom, going to the Y, and going to Old Navy to shop for flip-flops, not to mention driving between all the locations. I just kept going, and going, and going. My mind was not enriched, but my wallet was substantially depleted.

1 comment:
very prescient post. I have been pondering much the same thing myself lately. "Free time" gets eaten up by the things I need to do to fascilitate my existence (which considering how little leisure it contains, is basically my work life)
There is only one solution...servants!
that is all there is too it. we need servants to do things like run to BestBuy so that we can stay home and sit in the lawn chair with our cocktails.
btw, I was a bit shocked to see that you put 'reading emails' on your pseudo-leisure list. right next to commuting and going to the dentist.
I just sent you an email and now I feel guilty. It doesn't say anything particularly important. feel free to delete it and go grab a cocktail:)
Post a Comment