Gabriel Betteredge, the house steward, is one of the main characters in the Moonstone, and as the individual who had to negotiate between the ruling and serving classes in a Victorian household, he has some incisive remarks.
"Gentlefolk in general have a very awkward rock ahead in life--the rock ahead of their own idleness. Their lives being, for the most part, passed in looking about them for something to do, it is curious to see--especially when their tastes are of what is called the intellectual sort--how often they drift blindfold into some nasty pursuit. Nine times out of ten they take to torturing something, or to spoiling something--and they firmly believe they are improving their minds, when the plain truth is, they are only making a mess of their house." (40)
"But compare the hardest day's work you ever did with the idleness that splits flowers and pokes its way into spiders' stomachs, and thank your stars that your head has got something it must think of, and your hands something that they must do." (41)
"People in high life have all the luxuries to themselves--among others, the luxury of indulging their feelings. People in low life have no such privilege. Necessity, which spares our betters, has no pity on us. We learn to put our feelings back into ourselves, and to jog on with our duties as patiently as may be. I don't complain of this--I only notice it." (155)
Mr. Betteredge's insights are not limited to one subject:
"(Nota bene:--I am an average good Christian, when you don't push my Christianity too far. And all the rest of you--which is a great comfort--are, in this respect, much the same as I am)." (161)
"I am (thank God!) constitutionally superior to reason. This enabled me to hold firm to my lady's view, which was my view also. This roused my spirit, and made me put a bold face on it before Sergeant Cuff. Profit, good friends, I beseech you, by my example. It will save you from many troubles of the vexing sort. Cultivate a superiority to reason, and see how you pare the claws of all the sensible people when they try to scratch you for your own good!" (162)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Isn't it terrible when people expect you to cry? I think it is definitely something that should be confined to your own pillow, or the shoulder of a close friend if absolutely necessary. The world's glum enough.
I remember being creeped out in the dorms by all the crying--I hadn't ever lived with other girls.
I have a hard time not considering it exhibitionism--blanching, blushing, and screaming can sometimes not be controlled, but surely crying can.
I love this novel, and Betteredge is such a great character. He is rivaled only by Miss Clack, but she is far less endearing. :-)
Hey Andrea,
Yeah, despite her tract-spreading propensities, Miss Clack definitely has some good qualities.
I saw from your profile you also like Pursuit of Love by Nancy Mittford--I just read it at a friend's suggestion--loved it!
Post a Comment