Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Etched in Stone

Emily and I took a lovely walk through the Leesburg graveyard, and were mutually gripped with grammatical horror when we saw this marker for a 20-year-old:

10 comments:

Vigilante Clowns of Justice said...

Ow...

I saw this and thought of you ;p
http://www.ala.org/ala/oif/basics/basicrelatedlinks/radicalbutton.htm

Pollyemma said...

Maybe the guy was dyslexic or something and its a tribute to his problems with spelling. you have to wonder.

I see a potential market for 'grave stone spell check.'

Asparagus said...

Jeff--I am SO getting one!

Emma--That is just a stupid/uneducated mistake. Maybe all his friends were stoned when they filled out the form.

Actually, the guy who is making my grandfather's stone said that the one mistake he made was switching an 'i' and an 'e' on a dyslexic child's stone. The mother thought it was so appropriate she had him leave it.

Pollyemma said...

I stand by my dyslexia theory. And don't make me bring Aristotle into this!

The Brain said...

Perhaps the guy on the horse was using the metal tip of his spear to short out a journey circuit?

Asparagus said...

Brain--Somehow that sounds like the scientologist theory of creation in some strang way.

Emma--one word--oot!!

I stand firmly by my lacked relatives/friends were all stoned theory.

Pollyemma said...

Ok, maybe you're right. The poor guy's friends were all impressed with Aristotle's pronouncement that 'Without friends no one would choose to live, though he had all other goods.'

Despondent in their bereavement, they began taking drugs which impaired their spelling abilities and resulted in the unfortunate tombstone.

Asparagus said...

You're so gracious, Emma. Aren't the flower urns hideous? Evidently the drugs also impaired his comrades' aesthetic senses.

Pollyemma said...

I agree. They are too hideous for words. It's a testament to how much his friends loved him that they were high enough to choose these urns.

btw, I think if you stare at the right urn long enough you begin to see a unicorn. try it.

Asparagus said...

Wow! Weird! You're right; just its head.