Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Decisions, Decisions

So I've decided to keep the boots, and to try running my life democratically. I now need advice on a much more serious decision...i.e., where do I want to apply for a job.

There is a lovely-looking job working for college constortium in the lovely-looking town of Claremont, CA. Problem: it's 30 miles outside of LA. I hate both the general slutiness of LA and the housing prices.

Salisbury, MD is in a beautiful location on the Maryland Penninsula -- certainly not as noxious as LA. Problem: It's a public university. I cannot philosophically conform to the mission of a government-supported institution. Of course, I violate my principles to some extent every time I drive on a government road, but one doesn't want to make a career of it...

Belmont College is a respected private, Christian school. Problem: It's in Nashville! Kind of like Vegas for Christian people. Hating hicks, the South, and country music as much as I do, Nashville is probably not the ideal location for me. Extremely difficult, I would think, to find classical music stations and marijuana. On the bright side, Tennessee Walkers are gorgeous horses, and I wouldn't mind having one.

Southern Methodist University has also posted a job that matches my skills and paltry experience well. Problem: It's in Texas.

UC Irvine is also looking for someone like me...why are so many schools controlled by the Dark Side?

Finally, Drexel is looking for someone to run the Internet Public Library ask-a-question service. Drexel sort of "bought" the IPL from Michigan, and since I've already done ref admin work for them and I know how things work, I might land the job. Problem: I know from direct observation that they overworked the last librarian in the position. Also, I'm not sure I'm a good match with Philly.

So...yeah...I'm going to keep looking. Any of those places sound particularly appealing?

4 comments:

Pollyemma said...

Well, Vegas for Christians sounds interesting from an anthropological perspective. I recommend Salisbury, MD. You can come visit me on weekends:)

Asparagus said...

Yeah...actually I find coastal Maryland very appealing. It seems like people there would be quiet.

Derby said...

Maybe you should take another look at Google.

Asparagus said...

yeah...maryland...

nope. not working for google. nah uh. there is geeky and then there is geeky.