Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Reverse Profiling

So I have a growing body of evidence based on personal experience that cops don't pull over white women. Even for speeding. About a month ago, a cop pulled over a guy behind me who was not speeding to the extent I was. (I thought he was after me at first, though, which gave me a fright. I don't intend to be pulled over in a deserted area. I don't know why women should trust cops anymore than any other man. Especially since they have guns). The other day, I was speeding but the cop behind me made it clear that all he wanted was for me to get over and let him by (to go get the REAL baddies, I guess). So...this is my hypothesis:


1. Speed limits are often ridiculously low.* Cops like to hover where the speed limits are unnecessarily low, indicating that speed limits are not posted for safety.
2. If speed limits are not posted for safety, and if cops profile speeders based on something other than the speed they are going, then there must be a more nefarious reason.
3. Cops cannot pull people over on the suspicion of drug possession, etc.
THEREFORE, speed limits are merely a subterfuge to allow the government to perform otherwise illegal searches.

I think I've forgotten formal logic. But it makes sense, doesn't it? So could we further hypothesize that speed limits are yet another of the multitudinous evils attributable to the war on drugs?

*Per Wikipedia, the safest speed is the "85th percentile", or what the majority of cars will drive on a given stretch of road. Oddly, speeds in many areas are 8 - 12 mph below this suggested speed due to "political or bureaucratic resistance". Hmm....

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I am reminded of a line from Bones:

"Is it paranoia that Monica Lewinsky was a KGB-trained, sex-agent mole?!"

;-)

M. Hunsberger said...

If I drove the speed limit on the toll road, someone would probably run me off the road.

And let me guess, the guy behind you who got pulled over wasn't white :-)

Asparagus said...

actually -- he was white -- but i'm not sure the cop could tell b/c he had a baseball cap on.

and i am NOT a conspiracy theorist, brianna. i just believe certain things the Government doesn't want me to believe.