I was listening to a psychology podcast this week on personality traits. I was intrigued when the prof. said that personalities don't really change. Introversion vs. extroversion is a basic personality differences, and I always assumed that I had become more extroverted over time. I don't duck and cover when people talk to me anymore -- I even choose to sit behind a desk and answer their questions! I think the distinction is more subtle than the popular definitions, though. I've become less shy, but not necessarily less introverted.
Introverts can be good at public speaking, while extr0verts can potentially be shy. The difference has to do with how you process information. Introverts process information internally, so outside stimuli are distractions. Extroverts need external interaction to process. The professor used the analogy of a glass. Autistic people, for example, have a very low overflow threshold for stimulation. Normal introverts have a higher overflow threshold, but they still have a point where they can take no more interaction. Extroverts don't have a threshold.
That's at least how the podcast described it. Wikipedia gives definitions from various theorists. All agree that introverts find a great deal of socializing draining, while extroverts find it energizing. I like the wording of Jung's "psychic energy flow" model. I think it's true that the difference is deeper than how we interact with other people -- it's how we react to any sort of barrage on our senses. (Here's another article about introversion). In the original Manchurian Candidate, Raymond says "there are two kinds of people in the world: those who walk into a room and turn the TV on, and those who walk into a room and turn it off."
The Atlantic has an insightful article about "Caring for Your Introvert." I really think somewhere near the center of the bell-curve -- almost an "ambivert." I'm not intently focused, I can work in groups (or I've been lying on my job applications), and I do blurt things out before I think about them. I also find myself in environments with a high concentration of introverts (the library, and academia in general), so I tend to be more extroverted than those around me. Yet I've certainly had the experience where I need some "alone time" and my highly-extroverted friends/siblings/parents simply don't understand.
Are all people who wake up crabby in the morning introverts?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
why do you think morning behavior sheds light on this issue? are you crabby in the morning?
also, I think everybody (except maybe career politicians) needs some 'alone time' every now and then.
Michaela is very pleasant in the morning as long as you do not suffer from facial spasms, i.e. smiles, in her presence before say noon. Additionally, conversational topics should be kept as or less cheerful than death by drowning, the Ebola virus, and Janet Reno's beauty regimen.
I'm intensely morose in the morning. Ann, Em, and I used to see who could grunt and snarl the most in front of the mirror. My current roommate, on the other hand, says that pretending to be happy in the morning can make it so.
Actually, I do know some people who seem to need no "alone time" -- my brother is one of them. He can be out for 24 hours with friends, and then come home revved up and ready to play.
Oddly, introverts tend to wake earlier than extroverts (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/
entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve
&db=PubMed&list_uids=922076&dopt
=Abstract)
Yes, you learnt fast, Bri -- probably a survival technique, being the pygmy in the African Nations.
My response if you're reading this tonight: lol "Yes!"
If you're reading this tomorrow morning: *grave nod*
I'm with Brianna. You've always seemed perfectly fine in the mornings to me (snarling contests or otherwise). of course I hate morning so much that I would never smile at you. that probably helped.
wow. your brother is pretty amazing. He should consider a career in politics.
Post a Comment