Saturday, May 05, 2007

Is Our Penal System Communist?

I have no great love for Paris Hilton, but I hold no real hostility towards her, either. If anything, her wardrobe choices have frequently entertained me on GoFugYourself.com. I don't understand the European fetish with royalty, but less do I understand why Americans so enjoy complaining about the rich and famous, while still caring enough to make their putrid lives the most popular story on CNN. Politicians we have a right to complain about -- their actions affect us, and we are forcibly made to pay their salary. Paris is not on our payroll. While she may have more cultural influence than Al Gore or Obama, no one is forced to watch her homemade porn or wear her clothing line. We could choose to ignore her if we wanted. We're just to interested in trashy. Now whose fault is that?

The judge who sentenced her (appropriately named Sauer), however, obviously did have a bit of a grudge against the rich and slutty. She was not allowed to pay for an alternate jail. Obviously, we're going beyond keeping reckless drivers off the street to teaching a spoiled rich girl what the lot of the common woman is.

If she can afford it, let her stay in a secure version of her own hotel! Long ago we abandoned the concept that the living conditions of prisons should be a punishment. Rather, the punishment is the depravation of freedom, and the main purpose is segregating the criminal from the upstanding citizen (oh how I hate that phrase). If this is true, a tiered system should be developed, so those who don't have a fortune can earn an income, and those who do can spend their own money on a pimped-out prison. This would be good for everybody -- both taxpayers and industrious or already wealthy prisoners. I don't resent Paris, but I do resent paying to be kept safe from potheads, bail violators, and prostitutes.

What is the impulse to bring people like Martha Stewart and Paris Hilton down to our level? I find that insulting. Paris only has more money than I do, and she's welcome to it.

1 comment:

Pollyemma said...

I guess I'm the intended target of your royalty comment. Sorry, Michaela, but I think your use of the word 'fetish' is pretty ignorant. I've given up on trying to explain royalty to Americans. Unless you grow up in a country with a royal family you can't understand what it's like.
plus the US media only ever covers the Windsors and their scandals.

The Crown Prince of Holland recently gave an insightful interview in which explained that he sees his role as "encouraging, representing and uniting" the Dutch people. He and his family do a fantastic job of that. I'm very thankful for them and there's nothing 'fetishistic' about it!