Tuesday, July 24, 2007

A president for paranoids like me

For those of you who don't read the NY Times, here's a positive article about Ron Paul, the only Republican candidate who I would bother to vote for. I fit in pretty well with the rest of his constituency -- my first fear after 9/11 was that the military-industrial complex would expand, I think George W. Bush has a lot in common with Darth Vader (bumper sticker I saw in parking lot: "Republicans for Voldemort"), and I'm not entirely sure that the neocons don't secretly worship an owl god.

Of course, my other, only slightly less-favored, candidate is Dennis Kucinich. As the article says, there is a "seldom-avowed common ground between the hard right and the hard left," and that's where my political views rest. My first poli sci professor -- a communist who gave me an automatic "A" for knowing who drafted the Constitution -- always said political views were like a circle -- the left-leaning and right-leaning anarchists have more common ground with each other than with the moderates of either side.

2 comments:

Pollyemma said...

hey Michela, nice blog, but I miss the twin swans. the new bird kind of freaks me out. btw, I completely concur with your harry potter comments.

Asparagus said...

THANK YOU! I thought you might agree, being so widely-read yourself. I have a sneaking suspicion that many avid Potterers haven't ever picked up a book before. It's kind of like, "wow! a BOOK . . . can be . . . EXCITING!" It pains me that our society finds that such a headline-worthy revelation. I had the same reaction to the Davinci Code -- I mean, Eco wrote the same type of thing a decade earlier, and ten times better, too.

I can't agree about my new pic, though. It's a loon, and I think it's appropriate on multiple levels.