
I was a grown-up this Halloween. Almost. Since I didn't have Gabi and Stephanie to accompany me on wild gads through Purcellville, I bought candy and handed it out to the real children. In Puerto Rico and in VA, of course, we were sadly lacking in trick-or-treaters. Not this year. There were lots of them, and they cleaned me out. There were lots of witches and grim reapers (they probably went and had a Black Sabbath immediately afterwards). There was a particularly good little barbarian girl to whom I gave extra chocolate (I ALWAYS give chocolate). There are many Chinese international students in my neighborhood, and they seemed to have no scruples about taking pictures of me giving candy to their children. Unfortunately, I was wearing a wife beater and sweat pants. Dad wanted to take pictures of the trick-or-treaters down in Toledo, but Matthew restrained him with threats that he would end up in a cell with Michael Jackson.
Matt and I carved pumpkins that I picked from a farm. The features
on mine were too big and the face caved in. I was nearly in tears (note: nearly) but Matthew tacked it back together with nails and it looked more gruesome than ever.

1 comment:
I feel compelled to make a note about my use of the phrase "me giving candy to their children." If they were taking pictures of giving candy to their children and I just happened to be the person doing it, "me," should be "my." However they were taking pictures of me as I was giving candy to their children--the phrase "giving candy to their children" is describing "me." Perhaps, it is true, there should be a comma between "me" and "giving candy to their children."
Post a Comment