
Remember when I used to write all my papers at the beginning of the semester freshman year? Yeah, well, I don't do that anymore. I have a 6 page, single-spaced reading synthesis due Monday. I've been doing the research (i.e. actually reading the required reading) for it in short spurts. That's the only way I can stand it. I've now locked myself in the basement with chocolate, apples, and cappucino. The window in my room was giving me SAD, with the leafless trees and ploughed-over communal gardens. Brianna taught me the virtue of constantly shifting locations.
The best distraction from work, however, is the Internet. To a will-less person like me, it is practically irresistable (witness this blog post). Yesterday evening, I decided to look up "unusual psychological disorders." I came across a discussion board of a bunch of people claiming to be vampires who were offended by the confusion of vampirism with Renfield syndrome: http://house-eclipse.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5675&sid=4657374e9f8dff04d603e3402754d8e6
My brother and I have always been fascinated by abnormal psychology. We spend hours reading the DMS-IV. Matthew wants to publish a pocket version. We've diagnosed all of you. It probably stems from our childhood. Mother ran a lot of errands dealing Tupperware and being vice-president of the Navy League. She would leave us sitting for extended lengths of time in the car. If we complained, her response was "Well, I tried to park you in the shade, what are you whining about?" We spent this time very constructively: when we were not pulling each other's hair, we decided what animals the people walking by were. I think our most popular observations were walruses, pigs, and various birds.
So....um...as you can see I've gotten a lot done on my paper in the last ten minutes....Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus and people in graduate school are very diligent.

2 comments:
Isn't it the raisin in the pudding or something? Although that sounds rather bread-pudding-ish.
Yay for procrasination.... you should have learned from me earlier. I still got (most) of it done. :)
Post a Comment