Saturday, February 18, 2006

Deet-Twah



Sorry guys...I'm too tired to do anything else but post my pictures from a nine-hour bus tour of Detroit today. I got up at 6:45. I know it was insane, but I was curious. And, hey! Detroit is an important city in the American experience. It, of course, is the home of Henry Ford and the Model T. So, naturally, it is also place where the blue collar middle class and labor unions emerged. Detroit was also influential in hastening the end of WWII by its production of planes, boats, trucks, and other things they use in wars. Its population peaked soon after WWII at around 2 million. Due to urban blight, the population is now only 900,000. Detroit, needless to say, has been the site of many racial struggles. There was early litigation by the blacks for schools. Both white and black southerners moved to Detroit for jobs, and the ensuing clashes led to the Federal army being called in no less than 4 times. More trade goes across the Ambassador Bridge, owned by some French dude, into Canada than all US trade into Japan. Detroit is also the home of the Lions, the Tigers, several art-deco sky scrapers and, needless to say, Detroit is the home of Motown.

So here are some pictures...most taken on the bus, so a little blury....


The now-abandoned railroad station...once on par with Grand Central Station in NY.

No comments: