During the Inquisitions, the Church and the State would publish lists of banned books. I think books are mostly harmless. People have to engage in some sort of thinking to digest a whole book (Harlequin romances, "Christian" fiction, and self-help books excepted). I suggest eradicating certain words that are overused by politicians, social scientists, and religious leaders. Of course, there is nothing wrong with actual integrity, love, or tolerance. Rather, exemplification of such virtues seems to make rhetoric about them obsolete. Practically, we could throw rotten fruit at public figures who used empty words. Here are my suggestions. Any additions?
Empowerment
Progress
Commitment
Tolerance
Culture
Awareness
Crisis
Integrity
Values
Respect
Decency
Love
War
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
democracy and freedom would be pretty high on my list.
i personally am sorry that book banning is no longer standard practice (it still happens of course but not overtly) I would definitely have a few suggestions for the censorship committee.
perhaps we could have public burnings of particularly egregious books. I would have a few suggestions for that as well.
i am in so much career turmoil right now. but if there was a book censorship committee out there - in a western country, I mean- I would finally have a dream to work towards. a goal. a focus. sigh. I was born in the wrong century.
Oh yeah, how could I have forgotten those two? The "war on democracy" and the "freedom fighters" (As Stewart or Colbert said, do they fight freedom like fire fighters fight fire?).
Why Emma, don't you know that when you kill a book you kill the distilled essence of an immortal spirit? Of course, the problem is that some people don't appear to have an immortal spirit. Several townhall speakers from our alma mater come to mind.
education
rights
Yeah--I hate rights. Emily needs to post her article about the non-existence of rights. It was paradigm-shifting (and paradigm is another word that should probably be expurgated).
Post a Comment