Thursday, May 24, 2007

I Heart Capitalism

It's hard being a capitalist in Ann Arbor. Most people here have socialist assumptions. I share their lifestyle preference for shopping locally, walking when I can, and avoiding mega-stores like Walmart. Yet I was pleased as punch to find a Belle Tire in the Arborland strip mall last week. They replaced the valve on my flat, re-inflated it, and put it back on my car within half an hour. The coolest part is that they charged me NOTHING. In the meantime, I was able to walk over to my bank, where they happily notarized an immigration form for me (n.b. guess who was making me go through the meaningless ritual of having a form notarized? The FEDERAL GOVERNMENT -- bah).

Do some businesses "exploit" their customers? Define exploitation (exploiting workers is another topic). Do they want to make a profit? Of course. Considering that there are at least four tire stores in Ann Arbor, though, Belle Tire would probably not make a profit by taking advantage of their customers. Their business strategy is more complex. By taking care of a quick repair for me, they count on the fact that I will return for larger repairs, and that I will recommend them to friends -- which I certainly will. My bank, on the other hand, will do what it can to keep me happy and my money in their account. If I don't like the service they provide, I can go next door. What's not to like about that?

1 comment:

Derby said...

Glad you could find good service. My locally-owned service station provides the same great service, and more of my money stays in the community.