I'm back from bug camp. It was fairly nippy up there. I didn't see too many noxious insects, but there were rather a lot of animal bones and skulls lying around the classrooms and outside the cabins. In my spare time, I sat and watched the chartered hydroplane land and take off, bringing in faculty members wearing gaiters (we mortals have to drive). There are bikes with baskets for check-out. The cafeteria has fresh, local greens and fair trade coffee -- the Ann Arbor influence? I ate rather a lot of ice cream, and carried rather a lot of boxes.

The library -- the cement keeps it cold. There was a dead flying squirrel in the
wood stove when we got there. LC call numbers are on the top floor, Dewey is on the ground floor and in the annex (to the right).
My list of personal necessaries so far:
- Hammock
- Binoculars (for the stars and the birds)
- Laptop (it may be rural, but it isn't so COMPLETELY uncivilized that there is no wireless).
- NetFlix subscription
- Clothes line
- Football and frisbee

What will be my cabin (hey -- at least it's not tin like the student cabins).

View from my cabin window.

Douglas Lake at sunset.

Little chipmunk. He sat there while I took his picture, but he is well-
camouflaged.

Yes, mother, they do have life vests. No, I will not wear one.
6 comments:
Tin cabins for the students? That's a form of torture in most military traditions. Ugh. Glad to hear your's is civilized.
Love the chipmunk picture. Such adorable little animals.
You should wear lifevests, Michaela. Unless there's a drought, even tall people can drown. ;-)
glad you wont actually wear one. life vests are for nerds.
and I am SO not a nerd.
do i detect a hint of sarcasm?
i distinguish between 2 classes of nerds. there'z academic, bookish nerds e.g. you, me, Brianna et al and then there's life vest wearing nerds. I won't give examples to spare their feelings.
ah -- around here we call ourselves "book nerds" -- as opposed to, say, WoW players, policy wonks, or ultimate frisbee enthusiasts.
No lifevests, Emma? You dare devil, you! Do you also live on the edge by cutting the tags off of your pillows? ;-)
Post a Comment