Monday, May 07, 2007

What are mothers for?

Some people come home for solace and consolation. Not I.

As I sat in the kitchen, bare feet on the table, Smithwick's in hand, programming manual on my lap, I looked up at my mother and observed, "I'm not very feminine, am I?" I went on to note that her foul plans to program my gender by dressing me in ribbons and bows had failed.

"I NEVER treated you like a female," she responded.

A while later, she noted that the picture of Bill and me had fooled her at first (oh, the gullibility of the pre-PhotoShop generation). "Besides," she commented, "you look a bit like Monica Lewinsky. You both have round faces. You're just his type."

Great, m0m. I'm a masculine tart. And people wonder what's wrong with me.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Your mom is so funny, Moni--er... Michaela.

Pollyemma said...

You know, you are his type. pity he's married and older. he's even tall enough. sigh.

I've set the photo of you two as my desktop background. It's a classic!

em said...

you have tendencies which are much more feminine than some of mine. and also you have a swan as your blog header.

Unknown said...

What tendencies are those, Em? Besides doing dishes and making homemade pizza, I cannot think of a one.

Unknown said...

Oh, is it the liking kids thing?

(Come on--I'm curious!)

Asparagus said...

I pluck my eyebrows more frequently. But Em wears more makeup. But my mouth is fouler. We both like kids, but I don't like babies.

Those are the comparisons I see.

I bought a baking stone last month. It's awesome.