Thursday, May 03, 2007

Writing about nothing

I shall respond to Brianna's contentless comments with a contentless post.

Graduation was colder than expected. Outside the gate to the stadium, protesters forced huge pictures of bloody, aborted babies on the incoming crowd. Parents tried to divert the eyes of the young siblings and children of the graduates. This method of making a point has upset me ever since I was a nanny and had to deal with the situation as an adult with a small child. Some images are not appropriate in public, general audience forums. I think it's ironic that these same people are trying to stop the distribution of graphic films, even to adults. Throughout the ceremony a plane flew above with the banner "stop abortion and Hillary." With this, I don't have a problem. Bumper-sticker sentiments may not be effective or rational, but at least they're not scarring young children.

During the hour-long procession of graduates, we stood in a long line for hot chocolate -- it was well worth it.

We snickered through most of the ceremony at the bromides and non-sequiters. I nearly split my side when they spoke of the civic pride I was expected to portray as a graduate of a public university. [Side note: I refuse to attend a church that flies the American flag. I consider the implication that nationality has anything to do with religion to be blatantly offensive. This may cause a problem depending on what part of the country I move to. I'm not sure everyone will understand my objections.] Bill's address was unremarkable and less funny or controversial than I expected. There were a few good moments when he talked about how we can't kill, convert, or subdue everyone who disagrees with us.

Sunday Em and I went to Domino's Farm, the only two adults there who didn't have children in tow. We spent several hours lamenting our suburban-bound existences, and wondering if we shouldn't be pursuing degrees in agriculture instead. I posted pictures to Facebook and Flickr (which I'm trying to be better about using).

I'm sleepy and going to bed. Check back tomorrow for a comparison of my family members to well-known celebrities. Yes, I'm totally riffing off Emma's idea.

2 comments:

Pollyemma said...

hey, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

but c'mon, the one thing we're all dying to know: did bill try to hit on you????

M. Hunsberger said...

I remember going to Domino's farm when I was little. It always made me think of pizza :-)