Monday, July 30, 2007
Drat the Heat!
It's warm here -- not warm compared to other places, but warm for Pellston, and it's making me ill. I spent two hours in the lake this afternoon, which was wonderfully cooling at the time, but not so nice now with the resultant sunburn. Indeed, I am very attached to the lake. I spend a great deal of time sitting in my hammock and looking at it when I should be reading. I'm reading Anna Karenina, which has very short chapters, and so makes me feel accomplished even though I've only read a couple pages. So I read a "chapter," set the book down, and stare listlessly at the lake for awhile. While staring listlessly is generally to be discouraged, staring at a lake is somehow more wholesome than staring at a parking lot. I had to buy dryer sheets today. They keep mice away, and I heard a mouse in my wall for the first time last night. It is quite loud for a small creature.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
please do keep us posted on your progress in Anna. I, personally, prefer to read thick Russian novels in the winter. Dostoevsky is better suited to a cup of tea and a blanket as cold winds blow outside your window.
I don't want to discourage you from reading this great classic. However, if you find yourself faltering, you may want to shelve the book and pick it up again in 5 months.
I love sitting on the deck and staring listlessly at the creek and the mountains. Sometimes it just feels good for the soul.
Post a Comment