Monday, October 10, 2005

Eating


I was going to put a picture of a starving person up for this post, but the only ones I could find were, like, of African babies or Holocaust victims, so I decided that was a little insensitive even for me.

There must be something inherently lean-looking about grad students. Which is understandable. My diet consists of a lot of carbs and dairy. Fruit and vegetables are impractical. Grapes I can eat before they go bad, but broccoli and lettuce start festering and wilting long before I get to the bottom of the bag. So I eat grilled cheese sandwiches and eggs just about every night. And even though I eat cereal every morning (I currently have four boxes), I can never finish a whole gallon of milk before it sours (I buy it because it is $0.10 cheaper than the half gallons when it is on sale, which is every week). Fibre is whole wheat bread, and antioxidants consist of green tea. My idea of a hot meal is enriched pasta with spaghetti sauce poured over it.

So my house mate occasionally takes pity on me and sits me down to broccoli and beef and rice. It is a symbiotic relationship because I always do the dishes. They often have free food at school....food like pizza and cookies and pop...because they care about our nutrition (?).

In other news, we were a grumpy lot in SI 501 today. It was rainy and cold, and we were discussing corporate culture and flow charts. I'm still not entirely sure why. Our unlucky GSI picked a bad day to have an evaluator come in and ask us how he (the GSI) was doing. But my group drew a nifty "artifact model" of a map book during the discussion time. You see, our big project is making suggestions to the map librarian about how to digitize rare articles and still keep them secure. Part of the challenge is preserving all the "metadata" like fly pages, watermarks, and notes in the margins.

3 comments:

Asparagus said...

I went to Kroger today and got a package of frozen vegetables, turkeyburger, and chili fixings. aren't you proud of me? (I probably shouldn't mention the cheese puffs).

Derby said...

Eat oatmeal instead of cereal - it's much more filling and better for you. Or, try grits or cream of wheat. A dozen eggs are cheap, versatile, and last longer than vegetables. And ketchup has more antioxidants and vitamins than plain tomato sauce, so if you like it, feel free to use a lot.

Asparagus said...

i ate oatmeal last winter...i like cold cereal when the weather is hot. also, cold cereal has all those cool fake vitamins in it.