Feel privileged, O readers, after three days without a wireless connection (ack! the withdrawals from slashdot), I choose to commune with you rather than fix a routing error in my rails homework.
The topic for today is not Thanksgiving. I shan't describe the feast, for it is traditional, which means unchanging. I shan't gossip about familial friction because it i'n't prudent. I shan't boast about the genetic superiority displayed among my beauteous relations, because I don't currently have photographic evidence to back it up. I shan't talk about the 11 hour drive to and from Frontenac, MN, because...well...that would just be boring.
So today I am going to give advice to the Ringling Brother's Circus.
Get some nostalgia, guys. I don't mean nostalgia for the 1990s, of which the spiffy sneakers and glaring colors were reminiscent. Most people don't like crass commericalism; it makes them feel like dupes. Take a lesson from the Cirque du Soliel, but keep the elephants. Special effects don't wow people in the days of X-Box 360s and IMax theaters. When people see a live show they are looking for artistry, connection, the human touch (no matter how corny). You should never have replaced the big canvas top, the peanuts crunching under foot, and the fat lady with sports arenas, dippin' dots, and lame plastic gimmicks. There are only so many five-year-olds in the world, but you could appeal to a wider audience.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Bonus points for /. addiction. I never would have guessed. Then again, it's been so lame as of late that if it doesn't improve quickly I'll have to deny ever knowing of it.
We have been instructed to "geek it up" a bit, so slashdot seemed like a logical place to go. Really the only techie site on my time-waster list, except for regularly checking out Google labs.
I liked the link to that article on the Zoon, though. Sounds like it has absolutely no redeeming value.
Who told who to "geek" what up?
LOL--all the history/English/classics people in the School of Information are supposed to immerse themselves in the culture of abject Apple and Google worship.
Post a Comment