Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Randomania

Again, I do have better things to do, but I just ingested my first cup of coffee in several weeks (in anticipation of turning in the code release of my website), so now I'm wired and disinclined to be productive for the next ten minutes.

Firstly, hoodies. I've got a new one that says "Michigan Archives." It's awesome because it is too long for normal people -- i.e. perfect for me. I just chuckle evily that they get to wear ill-fitted clothes for once. The pouches seem so organic compared to backpacks, purses, and even pants pockets. It's so easy to slip cellphones, keys, pepper spray, etc. in and out of them. Like a kangaroo. Of course, one must be careful not to acquire the pregnant look (Do pregnant women look inherently victimized to anyone else, or is it just me?).

Secondly, I locked myself out of my apartment today while I was going to work out. Since I was just going downstairs, I didn't have my laptop or cellphone. All I had were my IPOD and the wrong keys. It made me realize I had no coping skills sans electonics.

Normally, I would call my roommates, or one of the dozens of people in my cellphone, who would look online for the emergency number for the office, who would come let me in. I don't really know my neighbors--my community, except for the people I come in contact with daily because I live or work with them, exists digitally. It's not like Seinfield where people are walking in and out of each other's apartments. In addition, I don't know any numbers even if I got up the guts to ask to use someone's phone, since my numbers are all programmed in my cell. So, not knowing where to go for help, I sat outside my door and played pong on my IPOD until my roommates showed up. (Yes, my my my...it's all about me).

11 comments:

Pollyemma said...

why was this your first cup of coffee in weeks???? why did you purposely deprive yourself of the nectar of the gods?

Asparagus said...

I fail to see any important difference between coffee and cocaine: both may be fun occasionally, but regular use means you must increase the amount you consume for a buzz, and if you are deprived you feel like shit.

Pollyemma said...

cocaine ultimately dims the intellect.

Asparagus said...

So does coffee if you don't get your "fix" every morning.

Asparagus said...

And I thought you were a tea woman.

Unknown said...

Are you kidding? Emma may like tea, but she posts stirring prose about coffee on her blog. Besides, since you can't put chocolate, mint, caramel, and other things in tea, who can blame her? :-)

Asparagus said...

I beg to differ -- you can put mint in tea.

Pollyemma said...

Michaela, I reject labels like 'tea woman' or 'coffee woman.' I love all natural, legal stimulants. (and even not-so-natural ones like Red Bull).

I follow the Dutch custom of tea with breakfast and then coffee mid-morning.

Brianna, I am so glad you grasped the depth of my love of coffee as expressed on my blog. But you forgot to add 'Baileys' to your list of delicious ways to enhance your coffee drinking pleasure.

Speaking of dimming the intellect, I think I'm going to go watch "A Star is Born" (1976) for the third time. good night!

Asparagus said...

Did you also love all the natural, legal stimulants in the NL? ;-)

Unknown said...

I haven't tried Baileys in my coffee yet. Sounds lovely, though, I must say.

Kaela, can we really say you "add" mint to tea? Mint "tea" is an entity all its own. And yet is mint tea really tea? It has no caffiene at all, which is rather the point.

I'm tried. Tired, that is. But I think you could tell.

G'night.

Asparagus said...

My brother drinks a lot of coffee and Bailey's -- except we like to use "cafe con leche", an instant coffee from Puerto Rico. A really strong coffee drowns out the taste of the liquer.