Tuesday, March 27, 2007

EWWWW...

I've been averse to toads ever since I was a little girl and used to be chased with them. They're revolting when alive, and even more so when flattened on the road. Reptiles and amphibians are repulsive in general. There's something innately wrong with people who like them. It takes feathers, fur, and hair to be cute and appealing. And THOSE are my deep views on biodiversity...

Anyway, FrogWatch just found a monster toad in Australia (don't ask me why an organization called FrogWatch monitors toads).

13 comments:

Unknown said...

You don't like the itty bitty frogs even? Those are so cute. Even if you do think I'm weird.

Pollyemma said...

I'm afraid I do have to think you're weird, Brianna. and you too, Michaela, for posting this article. I saw it online and immediately clicked away because I was so grossed out.

I was surprised you didn't post the "world's tallest man gets married" story. or are you too upset that you let him get away to even be able to talk about it.

Asparagus said...

Umm...did you see his face? It was, like, lined and pock-marked. Call me complicated, but I consider other physical attributes besides height. Actually, I found THAT picture a bit disgusting, actually.

Pollyemma said...

what are you saying, Michaela? isn't beauty supposed to be on the inside?

Asparagus said...

fine. call me shallow, too. level at me whatever insult you like.

Pollyemma said...

well, he's married now so it's a moot point.

let me just share this pearl of wisdome from Nietzsche: "When marrying, ask yourself this question: Do you believe that you will be able to converse well with this person into your old age? Everything else in marriage is transitory. "

Asparagus said...

so why are you advocating my marriage to someone from china?

Pollyemma said...

I think you and tall guy would have had great conversations.

once he learned to speak english.

em said...

the girl was 14 and he was 28. i find that disturbing.

Unknown said...

For the record, I've never, to my recollection, touched a frog. Touching them=gross.

I only poked the Bio Lab one once--with a gloved hand. Matthew du Mee made me. Fare enough, because all I had to do the rest of the time was hold up the chart and say, "Hmm, yes. That *does* look like the liver."

Don't you think they're cute when they're hopping along and making little croaking noises? I mean, really, guys. They are a square inch in size. No more.

And little things are *almost* definitionally cute.

Unknown said...

*fair enough

Asparagus said...

yes, brianna, i find tree frogs moderately cute. and stylized lizards in commericals.

i thought he was 50-odd and she was 25? are you sure you didn't halve their ages? or are you just reminding us that when she was 14, he was an adult? that's really nothing.

my mom knows a guy who married his third grade teacher. everything seemed ok at first -- they had a little girl -- but then the teacher/wife started wandering around in her nightgown playing the harp, and eventually committed suicide.

Pollyemma said...

I refer you both to the beautiful and insightful song "Stacy's mom" by Fountains of Wayne.