Sunday, February 26, 2006

Two Reviews

Composed of subjective viewpoints and vapid opinions...

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
I didn't see Goblet of Fire until this weekend because I am too poor to pay first-run prices. I'm glad I didn't shell out the $9. Harry III was probably my favorite, after Harry II. The special effects in Harry IV were certainly still stunning--Potter is all over Narnia in that department. The plot seemed contrived, and the whole Voldemort thing is getting SO old; he's ALWAYS coming back and trying to kill Harry. And of course we all knew from the start that Harry would end up having to compete. The themes and issues are comparable to those in Saved by the Bell or Buffy the Vampire Slayer, which is inevitable, I guess. Adolescence is just not as enchanting as childhood.

The Magic Flute
My brother had to go see a performance of the Magic Flute down in Bowling Green for a class assignment this afternoon, so I thought I'd tag along. The acoustics were, first of all, terrible. The auditorium practically ate up sound. And the performance was not as polished as the few other operas I've attended. But what most disappointed me was the opera itself. I'd heard bits and pieces, of course, but the plot was contradictory, and I didn't think the music was as inspired as his other "great" works (which, yes, is practically all of them). Papageno was cute, but one just wanted to spank Sarastro, all pompous in his metalic robes. I liked the Queen of the Night better. From what I could unravel, one of the driving gists is that women talk to much and have a tendency to evil, but are necessary partners for mutual happiness. I could write a feminist criticism, complete with phallic images, but I'll spare you...for now.

2 comments:

Pollyemma said...

oh please don't spare us. I think it would be fascinating to hear full blown Michaela feminist critique of the Magic Flute. I have always found it very interesting that the woman is evil and the man good. Pamina doesnt seem to have a dad either.

btw, i am soooo jealous you have a brother to go to the opera with. You don't know how luck you are. I guess I could go to a punk rock concert with my brother, but why would I want to? plus, he would ignore me and go crowd surfing the whole time.

Asparagus said...

Oh, believe me, he only went because he had to. He prefers classic rock--which is SO much more annoying than punk, IMO. He's taking a mandatory "Arts" class--i.e. "How Not to Be a Philistine." He has to go to all sorts of classical music events. *evil chuckle*

I would oblige you now, but I am really quite ill, and I can't imagine how incoherent a critique of an already-incoherent play would be at this point.