Thursday, March 23, 2006

I'm Disturbed

And Now for Something Entirely Different...

I'm watching the World Figure Skating Championships (because I'm lazy). Does an audience of fat, middle-aged women applauding bizzarely-dressed young boys bother anyone else? And I mean seriously fat. Somehow it seems perverted. I don't know why. Maybe Emma or Brianna can explain it.

OK, we have the "Ore-Ida Move of the Day." See! Why would they advertise fake potato products if the fans weren't overweight?

2 comments:

Pollyemma said...

well, I am not a fat middle aged woman so maybe that explains it, but I am creeped out by bizzarely dressed young boys shaking their bons bons on the ice. There are a few male skaters who manage to infuse some "masculinity" into their skating, but those are few and far between.

I endlessly prefer the women's competition. It's more "seemly."


In the EU we are currently trying to ban flagrant advertising like the "Ore-Ida move of the day." In general I fall on the free market, anti regulation side of things, but in this case it may not be such a bad idea...

Asparagus said...

Or at least make the sponsor more appropriate! I mean, Campbell's Soup kind of worked, but Ore Ida??!! It's like SlimFast sponsoring suma wrestling.