Sunday, March 12, 2006

On Anonymous Blogging...

A while ago someone took seriously something I meant as a joke, and posted a patronizing and rather obvious (as in, NO DUH!) response. I ignored it then (although I appreciated Em's subtle repartee), but recently I have seen several instances of this on other blogs. These posts come across as either malicious or written by a well meaning Church Lady a la Miss Bates.

Why?

Because they lack context. Meetings of the mind may occur through cyberspace, and relationships developed. But encouragement and references to personal characteristics are out of place between strangers. In a word--and I think Brianna will agree--it's rude. If you feel that you have the right to encourage, analyse, or prod, then leave your name, or I will take your message in the worst possible way. If that is too intimidating, then you are a bigger coward than I and shouldn't be giving advice.

As much as I dislike restrictions and welcome comments on my blog, my settings will, in the future, prohibit anonymous comments.

2 comments:

Asparagus said...

Yes, I've learned Brianna's Book of Etiquette like you memorized the Pink de Tocqueville. Not that I always follow it...to my detriment, I'm sure.

em said...

Also, for the potentially good-willed nameless commentor, you provoke only curiosity and anger... the good of the substance is lost because of the act of commenting anonymously. Context is everything, folks.

Also, listen to Brianna. It's good for you.