Wednesday, August 02, 2006

A Matter of Centimeters

I always expect traumatic things to happen in new places, but never in my own doorway.

I was walking out of my basement as usual today, except my shoes made me perhaps a quarter of an inch taller, and my head was tilted back for a drink of water. Suddenly I had a very sore head. I didn't realize I'd been within an half-inch of disaster for the past three years.

Thresholds are frequently hazardous to anyone over 6 foot. I remember a particularly bad incident last summer, as I was jumping up and down in doorway of the house on Royal Street.

2 comments:

Pollyemma said...

Might I enquire as to why you were jumping up and down in the doorway of royal street?

I am always happy to cross the threshold of that august establishment, but I don't believe I was ever so overpowered by joy that I began jumping. Though I'm only 5' 8'' so it wouldn't be a problem for me.

random: isn't henry james an annoying author?

Asparagus said...

Brianna--of course I won't. I will, however, email Emma because I think she would find it amusing.

Well, Emma, I'm afraid we must disagree on Mr. James. I'm not crazy about Turn of a Screw, but I do like Portrait of a Lady, and he did write a book about archivists.

I've given up my frivolous literature and am embarking on Women in Love and Count of Montecristo. Wish me luck.