Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Resumes, D.H. Lawrence, Dumas, and Dr. Seuss

Right now I'm avoiding sending in my resume. I hate resumes, and I always feel like an imposter when I send them out. All those things I put on the paper--degrees, awards, memberships, languages--aren't me, they were the products of time and chance.

I've finished Women in Love. At first it is tempting to be caught up in the speech, the conversations, and even the actions. There are so many quotable quotes in the beginning, when there is a host of characters, all feeling each other out with dialogue. I don't have the book with me, but so many specific quotes one can rally behind--they seem so revolutionary. Then you realize that except for a few observations, that Gudrun will always be a mistress and Ursula a wife, for example, talk is almost meaningless. Even action is only symbolic of the essential characters of each individual. In the end, the setting is stark and there are only five real characters--perhaps only three. Ursula and Birkin have found closure, albeit that Birkin still feels something lacking. But the triangle of Gudrun, her new lover (whatz his face), and Gerald nuke it out until the very end in a battle of wills and essential purposes.


I tried to start Count of Monte Cristo, but found it didn't sit well after Lawrence. Not that there's anything wrong with it--just not a good combination. So I've been trying to neutralize the atmosphere by reading a study of Dr. Seuss.

Dr. Seuss is actually a controversial figure. On the one hand, his language is inventive, he doesn't condescend to children, and most people like nonsense. On the other hand, his lingual "creativity" is seen by many as a perversion of standard English, his political messages (in the Lorax, the Sneeches, and the Butter Battle Book), are seen by many as too simplistic for such complex subject matter, and his poems are denounced as mere limericks. What do we think?

No comments: