Wednesday, March 28, 2007

And now for something completely anti-liberal

I really support the affirmative action statement at the end of most job postings, I really do:

"The University of [Blank] does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, color, religion, national origin, age, disability or veteran status in provision of educational programs and services or employment opportunities and benefits."

Fine. I'm down with that for public institutions. Incidently, I really dislike the "consideration" given to the spawn of alumni.

Anyway...how does the above position jive with "diversity" job positions established for the express purpose of bringing in "underrepresented groups"? I'm white and female. Most librarians are white and female. Hence I am not an underrepresented demographic. Should I even bother to apply? Should I start eating arroz y habichuelas again and call myself Hispanic? Does the fact that there are not that many entry-level library fellowships, and that a good share of them are "diversity fellowships," constitute reverse discrimination? I'm just sayin'...

5 comments:

Pollyemma said...

I think you should just move into your parents basement and smoke pot.

Asparagus said...

definitely an option. actually, the kerouac thing is appealing more to me right now...it's so beautiful outside.

Pollyemma said...

I don't think these 2 options need necessarily be mutually exclusive:)

Unknown said...

Veteran status? I never heard that one before. If I'm interpreting it correctly, it makes me mad.

Asparagus said...

The veteran thing is strange. They always ask you if you're a veteran, but it isn't supposed to affect whether or not you are hired. The same for ethnicity, etc. I don't understand, and I'm not going to expend my cognitive powers on it right now.