I am not a patient person. The predictability of life is a burden, and I don't really believe in surprises, nasty or nice. The weeks seem to drag, and I know exactly how long I have to wait until I can be doing something different. I remember Advent calendars with chocolate hidden under each date that made the wait until Christmas seem even more maddening. Bad things, like the GRE, cause trepidation in the lingering weeks before them, much worse than the things themselves. But sometimes change happens drastically and without warning.
Tonight my mom and my grandparents came home from Mayo Clinic. My grandfather's cancer is advanced and he has weeks, maybe months to live. At the beginning of the summer we had no inkling of this--he was chopping wood, taking walks, mowing the lawn.
Now, instead of sitting up with a dying stranger, I'm listening for my grandpa, to help him walk to the bathroom, to give him Ativan and a drink of water that he can barely swallow. Outside my window, in the park, the band is playing at the annual Waterville fireman and policeman's party, and I hope they don't disturb him.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Sorry to hear about your grandfather. I am sure that he appreciates that you are able to be there for him at this time. Thank you for your prayers for my family and I am certainly praying for yours.
Thank you. Of course, an elderly person's being sick is not as shocking as a car accident. Send me an update when you get the chance. Are your sisters OK?
Post a Comment